Aerial LIDAR Mapping and Surveys
Colourised Point Clouds, Detailed Surface Models, Breaklines and Features
Queensland Drones delivers precise, high quality Aerial LIDAR Mapping on-demand for 3D visualisation, digital twin creation, vegetation mapping, feature mapping, contour mapping, volumetric analysis and more. We work primarily with engineers, surveyors and property developers to deliver CAD- and BIM-ready data including breakline-constrained TiN Mesh, 3D point clouds, drainage models, flood risk models and vegetation models.
ARTERIAL ROAD MAPPING
3D Colourised LIDAR mapping of a major arterial road intersection with surveyed ground controls and CAD-ready precision outputs including 3D breaklines, breakline-constrained TiN Mesh, DEM and DSM, thinned point cloud and high quality orthomosaic.
3D Colourised LIDAR mapping of an 8km long rural road corridor with surveyed ground controls and CAD-ready precision outputs including 3D breaklines, breakline-constrained TiN Mesh, DEM and DSM, thinned point cloud and high quality orthomosaic.
3D Colourised LIDAR mapping with planimetric feature mapping identifying centre line and edges of road surfaces, driveways and entrances, fences, gates, bridges, creeks, powerlines and elevation breaklines.
3D Colourised LIDAR mapping of an urban road including neighbouring properties, with precision ground control and outputs including 3D point cloud, breakline-constrained TiN Mesh, planimetric features, DTM and DEM.
Detailed 3D LIDAR survey of a 380Ha former cattle farm to inform catchment rehabilitation. CAD-ready outputs including high quality orthomosaic, 3D colourised point cloud, TiN Mesh, elevation contours water flow model, flood model and detailed vegetation metrics.
FLOOD DAMAGE MAPPING
Detailed 3D LIDAR mapping of more than 240 linear KM of rivers and creeks to inform post-flood damage and debris field identification. GIS-ready outputs including ASPRS-classified colourised point clouds, high quality orthomosaics, and ground-classified DEMs.
REDEVELOPMENT SITE MAPPING
Precision 3D LIDAR survey a property planned for major redevelopment to identify existing features and infrastructure including roads, fences, gates, buildings, dams and major vegetation areas. Precision outputs including colourised point cloud, DEM, planimetric features and breaklines.
Precision 3D LIDAR survey of drainage channels and storm water gabions to inform redevelopment of a semi-urban water catchment site. Precision GCPs and CAD-ready outputs including high quality ortho, classified and colourised point cloud, DEM, breakline-constrained TiN Mesh and feature planimetrics map.
How Accurate is LIDAR Mapping?
Our PPK-enabled airborne LIDAR mapping sensor with fully integrated and calibrated 26MP RGB mapping camera delivers LIDAR mapping accuracy of 5-10cm without ground control points and 2-4cm precision when combined with accurately measured ground control points.
Use Cases for Aerial LIDAR Mapping
Our UAV LIDAR mapping and aerial LIDAR survey services are designed for:
- 3D modelling of buildings and developments
- Topographic mapping of land and properties
- 3D and volumetric mapping for mines and quarries
- Vegetation mapping for environmental management and agronomy
- Tree counts and tree metrics for forestry and orchards
- Precise elevation, contour and survey mapping
- Levelling, excavation and cut-fill calculations
- Archaeology and cultural heritage management
- Highway construction and corridor mapping
- Powerline mapping and vegetation modelling
Aerial LIDAR Mapping Deliverables
We provide a full LIDAR point cloud and RGB orthomosaic data processing service delivering BIM/CAD ready outputs including:
- 3D fully colourised point cloud (LAS, LAZ or XYZ format)
- ASPRS-classified point cloud (full or thinned to your specification)
- Point Cloud classified to ground, buildings, powerlines, vegetation, etc.
- Planimetric feature identification (vector mapping of structures and infrastructure)
- Digital Elevation Model (DEM – actual ground and ground-based structures)
- Digital Terrain Model (DTM/DSM bare earth model)
- Precise Elevation Contours (DWG, SHP or other formats)
- 2D high resolution orthographic imagery (GeoTIF or ECW format)
- Terrain profiling (elevations across slices of terrain)
- Water pooling projections (flood risk mapping, water storage planning)
- Volumetric calculations (cut and fill, stockpile, change measurement)
- Accurate height calculation of above ground objects
How Do You Access LIDAR Maps?
Once the colourised LIDAR mapping data and RGB photos have been transformed into precise aerial mapping deliverables, you can access them in a number of ways:
- Download from our Secure Client Portal – a cloud-based delivery system
- On a USB Drive – we can post the deliverables to your office
- On a Secure Presentation Platform – you can browse all kinds of mapping outputs on the internet
We suggest that you discuss your output requirements and how you plan to use them with our consultant before ordering your aerial LIDAR mapping survey, so we both know what to expect.
The Process of Drone LIDAR Mapping
Our aerial LIDAR mapping is not reliant on flight schedules or complicated setups. Our qualified and experienced UAV pilots can be on-site usually within a matter of days to capture the data you require.
Most of our drone LIDAR mapping data processing is done in-house, so you don’t need to wait weeks to see the results either.
We can deliver the outputs of our service in formats you can load into your own BIM, CAD or other GIS mapping systems, or we can host your data in our own Global Cloud Server for you to access and share with others as required.
Aerial LIDAR Surveys – Working With Surveyors
Queensland Drones partners with registered surveyors to deliver precision survey mapping deliverables even over large areas. Our aim is to extend the reach of ground surveys using drones.
We can anchor our precision GNSS PPK system to a pre-surveyed point, allowing our PPK ground rover (for measuring ground controls) and our PPK aerial rover (for correcting LIDAR and photogrammetry images) to deliver near survey-grade accuracy.
Our air crew and ground crew can work on-site with your survey team, or independently as preferred.
Find Out More About UAV LIDAR Mapping For Your Project
Interested in a typical use case examples for Drone LIDAR Mapping? Check this out:
Interested in what it costs to have an Aerial LIDAR Mapping Survey? Check this out:
We hope to add more case studies in the near future, so please check back regularly for updates.